Constipation : best treatment with Ayurveda
Constipation is one of the common digestive problems now days. Around 20 to 25 % people are suffering from chronic constipation in India.
For good health and good physical function, food needs to be digested on a daily basis and excreted in feces. But for many reasons, defecation does not occur on a daily basis or the bowel movement is more constricted, dry and constipated. These symptoms are called constipation.
Constipation is not a separate disease but causes a background of many diseases. This may cause minor constipation at first, but long time constipation can lead to many digestive or other disorders.
According to Ayurveda, Apan Vayu causes proper bowel movements and pushes digested food forward in intestine and causes defecation. However, due to the reasons given below, apan vayu gets vitiated with ruksh guna (dry ness), due to lack of proper lubrication in intestine and less intestinal movements, stool becomes hard and becomes difficult to pass through anus.
In this way, due to lack of proper bowel movement, symptoms like constipation, bloating and tightness in lower abdomen start appearing. In addition, gases, heaviness in the lower abdomen, loss of appetite, lack of enthusiasm for any work, abdominal pain, irritability, headache, nausea, vomiting, insomnia and many other symptoms appear on the body due to constipation.
And if you have constipation for a long time, it can lead to hemorrhoids, hernias, hernias, duodenum (IBS), colitis, headaches, chronic colds.
Causes of constipation-
Vitiated Vata is responsible for many digestive diseases & constipation also, such as,
- Excessive consumption of dry foods like food heavy to digest, cold food or drinks, stale food and snacks like farsan, chiwda .
- Fasting, eating at the wrong time, eating when not hungry, overeating
- Overuse of meat, eggs, fish, hotel or outdoor food, excessive fast food - junk food, canned food
- Bakery products like bread, paaw, cake, pastry; fermented foods like idli, dosa, medu vada,
- sleeping late at night, eating late at night, sleeping during the day, lack of exercise, indigestion,
- Excessive cigarettes smoking, chewing tobacco, excess alcohol intake, excessive consumption of astringent-bitter-spicy foods
- Anxiety, stress
- lack of vegetables, fibrous food, ghee in the diet
Also Read : Fast Weight loss tips & Treatment in Ayurveda
Tips to prevent constipation-
- Include nutritious, rich, fatty and fresh foods in the diet and increase the amount of leafy vegetables, cucumber, carrot, beet, ghee.
- All dietary reasons mentioned in the causes of constipation should be avoided.
- Walking for at least 45 minutes every day is the best exercise for constipation as it strengthens the intestines and improves their movements.
- In order to maintain good digestion, use of spices in proper amount in the diet , aerated food should be avoided and regular and proper meal times should be maintained so that properly digested stool can pass easily through intestine.
- In constipation due to stress and anxiety; Meditation, pranayama and yogasana are very helpful. Also Yogasana like Ardhamatsendrasana, Pavanmuktasana, Halasana, Balasana are also very helpful in cure as well as preventing constipation.
- Regular use of hot water for drinking helps to bowel movements and facilitates bowel movements.
- Also massaging the lower part of the navel with lukewarm oil in an anuloma direction also cures mild constipation.
- For occasional and mild of constipation, take Triphala + lukewarm water or Isbagol. However, long-term use of laxative churna or powders that are readily available in the market should be avoided.
Also Read : Reduce Acidity & GERD Reflux with Ayurveda
Ayurvedic Treatment of Constipation -
If constipation persists despite the above primary care, it is important to seek appropriate treatment early. Treatment is expected to treat the causes of constipation, such as if the constipation is due to stress-anxiety or if it is due to imbalance of hormones.
According to Ayurveda, constipation is caused due to the dry and variable quality of Apan Vayu. Therefore, Anulomak oil, Ghrita is used via oral route or by enema for the treatment of constipation.
Also, increasing the digestion power ios very important step in treating constipation because well digested food easily passes through intestine. Then small amount of mild laxatives like Trivritta, Argvadha, Haritaki, Grapes, Sonamukhi etc. are used according to the nature and condition of constipation.
Basti and Virechana Panchakarma is very effective in treating chronic constipation.
- Dr.Yogesh Chavan, MD (Ayu.)Kerala
Book Appointment - https://www.ayurvedanashik.com/contact