Suffering from back pain: You must know this
Spondylosis, rheumatoid arthritis, Osteo-arthritis, sciatica, lumbar disc prolapse, arthritis of vertebrae, and degeneration of the vertebrae are major causes of back pain & Low backache. Due to Altered lifestyles, hectic lives, and neglect of health, some diseases are on the rise these days. Back pain is also a common health problem in the age group of 30 to 60 years. It is estimated that 40 to 45% of people suffer from back pain at some point in their lives. Most of them recover on their own and with rest & home remedies, while the rest suffer from chronic spinal or spinal disorders.
Generally, if the back pain does not get better within 6 weeks, it takes the form of chronic back pain and it does not get cured without proper treatment. There are many causes of back pain or lumbar pain. The primary causes are diseases associated with the spinal cord and its muscles and ligaments, and the secondary causes are pain in the abdomen or other areas as referred pain towards the back.
In Ayurveda, it is described as Katigraha or Katishul. Here, ‘Kati’ means back and ‘graha’ means stiffness or pain. Excessive weight or luggage lifting, excessive traveling on uneven roads, trauma on the back region, incorrect seating posture, and vitiated Vata dosha are all factors responsible for Low backache or Katigraha. The incidence of back pain or low back pain is higher in women than in men. Women suffer from rheumatism, arthritis, spondylitis, disc prolapse due to faulty or less nutritious diet, lack of exercise and pregnancy, etc.
Also Read : PCOD/ PCOS Treatment: Ayurvedic is Best!
Causes of back pain-
The following ailments/conditions are the main causes of back pain.
1. The most common cause - muscle or ligament sprain-strain and injury -
2. Lumbar disc herniation - protrusion of intervertebral disc
3. Disc Prolapse / Slip disc – excessive protrusion of intervertebral disc or inter-vertebral cushioning causes pain mainly in the buttocks and legs (sciatica).
4. Arthritis of the spinal joint - usually pain gradually increases and referred pain starts towards thighs as the disease progresses
5. Spinal canal stenosis and
6. Spondylolisthesis - Decreased / stenosis of the spinal cord cavity in the spinal cord and the onset of sciatica and back pain due to pressure on the nerve roots which usually increases while walking.
7. Spinal Compression Fractures - Compression fractures due to weak bone structure are common, especially in postmenopausal women, osteoporotic people, and long-term steroid users (especially in asthma).
According to Ayurveda,’ Vata dosha’ is the main cause of back pain, and the reasons for the increase in Vata in the muscles and vertebral region of the back are as follows.
The following diets should be avoided to avoid back pain-
- maintain correct posture while working on the computer for a long time. Avoid sitting for a long time.
- Maintain correct posture while studying on the table; avoid traveling too much on rough roads
- Avoid cold drinks, food which is heavy for digestion and which can cause indigestion.
- Regular drinking of hot water is more beneficial.
- Avoid sleeping during the day and do not wake up at night and get enough sleep.
- Chana dal and pulses should be reduced from the diet as much as possible.
- Avoid fried, spicy, and oily foods.
- Avoid taking bath w