How To Boost Your Immunity With Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, strong immunity is a product of good digestion, strong agni (the metabolic fire), quality liver functioning, and a balanced endocrine system (which includes appropriately balanced hormones).
Immunity is also very much connected to a mysterious substance called ojas. The Sanskrit word ojas literally means “vigor.” However, in the body, ojas is extremely subtle and elusive—somewhat difficult to define, even. Yet in the Ayurvedic tradition, ojas has everything to do with immunity. It is said that the strength of one’s ojas determines which factors and influences—whether internal or external—cause disease in each individual. Grasping the Ayurvedic approach to bolstering the immune system therefore hinges on having at least a peripheral understanding of ojas.
Ayurvedic tips to boost immunity:
1. Avoid simple sugars in any form, limit alcohol, avoid processed foods, microwaved foods, canned foods, foods which contain preservatives, leftovers and fried foods.
2. Introduce immune-boosting spices into cooking, such as turmeric, black pepper, cumin, coriander.
3.Eat immune-boosting foods such as apples, pomegranates, green leafy vegetables, asparagus and whole grains.
4. Never drink ice water. Sip hot water or fresh ginger tea throughout the day to boost the digestion.
5. Use clarified butter (ghee) for cooking. Consume the biggest meal of the day around noon, eat lighter in the morning and in the evening. Do not overeat.
6. Choose foods that are in accordance with individual Ayurvedic constitution. Follow ayurvedic food combining rules. Fast for one day a week, if possible. Avoid nightshade family vegetables (potatoes, tomatoes), dairy and gluten.
7. Also take ayurvedic supplements that will increase the power of digestive fire and to support strong immune function.
8. Exercise daily, practice yoga, meditation and pranayama breathing, sleep adequately, scrape the tongue daily, avoid constipation.
9. Practice self-massage daily with ayurvedic oils, exercise positive outlook on life and take mind-balancing herbs, if needed.